The purpose statements of First United Methodist Church of Carbondale are as follows:
- Live out the commitment "Open hearts, Open minds, Open doors" by welcoming all persons to come and be a part of our church family;
- Serve our local community and the world through spiritual and social outreach. We will be "His hand reaching out to the oppressed" so that others may also know Jesus Christ and be blessed;
- Worship in a spiritual manner that is both traditional and creative with high quality and theologically-based music, preaching and teaching;
- Partner with diverse churches and organizations in our local area to extend our outreach;
- Understand and respond to the continuous changes and needs in society.
Baptism is for infants, youth or adults and can be by immersion, pouring or sprinkling.
Confirmation is training for baptized youth who want to make their own personal faith commitment.
Communion is celebrated monthly and is open to any person who wants to "walk with God" through Jesus Christ.
Full Member: You become a full member by any of these processes:
- Profession of Faith - If you do not currently have membership in any Christian church, you are invited to profess your faith, be baptized, and join FUMC.
- Transfer of Membership - You can be transferred from another United Methodist Church or any other Christian church. Since you would have been baptized in this situation you will not be rebaptized.
Associate Member: If you are living in the area for an extended time and belong to another Christian church, you can become connected with our church for this time and enjoy the rights of membership.